CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 10, 2010

Casey Anthony Jury Won’t Be From Orlando

Posted: 01:08 PM ET

Editor's note: Follow this story on truTV's In Session from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. PT/ET, on CNN.com LIVE and on HLN's Nancy Grace at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. ET

Orlando, FL – The defense strongly argued before the court that Miami-Dade County should be the new venue for jury selection.

Baez said that during a recent jury selection in Dade County, only one prospective juror knew who he was.

He argued that Miami doesn't care about the Casey Anthony case. "Its history,” Baez said.

The defense argued against the trial being held in the Jacksonville area because of the high-profile Haylee Cummings and Somer Thompson cases.

He argued that these cases are too similar, and that jurors may have a pre-existing opinion on cases concerning little girls.

Judge Perry announced he will grant the motion for a change of venue at the appropriate time.

The judge stated that once he makes his decision, he will tell attorneys, but issue a gag order and not let anyone know where jury selection will be held until the last moment: "I will announce when we will let the world know."

The prosecution argued that it does not oppose a change of venue, but does oppose the location being Miami-Dade County.

- Jean Casarez, In Session Correspondent

Filed under: Casey and Caylee Anthony

Speck   May 10th, 2010 1:19 pm ET

Why not select a jury from Miami-Dade and sequester them in the Orlando area to cur down on the costs of moving the entire trial?

Corina   May 10th, 2010 1:24 pm ET

It just amazes me how long it has taken for this trial to get going. Casey Anthony unfortunately has become a media start due to a heinous act. No mother could be innocent who did not report her 2 year old missing for 31 days and then lied and led police on a goose chase, lied about her place of work, partied and got tattoed during that time and basically it wasn't her in the end reporting Caylee mising, it was her mother who finally did. I hope and pray that any jury members will stand up for the poor defenseless victim Caylee whom many of us would have welcomed as a child in our homes but due to the neglect of a mother who did not appreciate the gift of a child ended up dying while in the care of Casey Anthony. If Casey was innocent, she would have reported in child missing within the first few minutes and she never did. I hope the jury is made completely aware of the fact that Casey never reported her child missing for many, many days and if she had nothing to hide, she would have reported that baby missing immediately. She deserves nothing less in treatment as that she did for her child.

Steve Bolger   May 10th, 2010 1:40 pm ET

She is so guilty, It may have been from her giving caylee too much chloroform,, but then to not call 911 and try to cover it all up. I also think her brother Lee helped dispose of the body!

Joan G.   May 10th, 2010 1:49 pm ET

It won't matter where the trial takes place or what pool of jurors they use as the facts will show that Casey is GUILTY. She is a cold hearted selfish spoiled person capable of murdering her daughter.
I think her parents have entirely forgotten their sweet grandaughter and seeing any justice for her. They KNOW Casey inside and out and truly know what she is capable of. The parents 911 Call bears that out. Babysitter has Calley...Indeed. Too bad all this expense for someone so unworthy.

clarice simon   May 10th, 2010 1:59 pm ET

I don't think it matters where the jurors come from or where the trial is held, there is no part of the country that doesn't know this case and has been following it. I feel the defense is grabbing at every straw they can. Outside of someone coming forward and admitting to the crime, Casey Anthony can not prove she didn't do it.

lauratj   May 10th, 2010 2:06 pm ET

I could not agree more with you Corina. This trial is taking very long to get going–they have hundreds of depositions,so many motions filed. I am sure everyone involved wants it to move along–trial date set for
May 2011. Will the "truth" set Casey free ???

lorrie   May 10th, 2010 2:16 pm ET

People who do not take their responsibility as a parent seriously should not be treated as though they are entitled to special treatment by the courts.Get her case on the docket, find her guilty and tell her she can endure hard time in prison until she is too old to know how to party,or quicker still would be the death penalty and stop wasting tax dollars on such a useless excuse for a mother.People who would do anything in this world to protect their children from any harm or threat of harm are scrambling every day to try to provide for their children are outraged that she sits in court smiling as though she was MOTHER OF THE YEAR,GET ON WITH IT AND PUT HER WHERE SHE DESERVES TO BE.

Brad   May 10th, 2010 2:18 pm ET

Glad to see the trial WILL be held in Orlando.

The jury will be picked from another city and brought in for the trial here.

Too bad Baez.

No way the Judge is going to pick them from Dade County.

sandy folsom   May 10th, 2010 2:23 pm ET

don't be fooled,there are a lot of people out therelike myself that have followed casey anthony case,as well as haleigh cummings and the third one i don't know.it does not matter where the trial is,ithink we all know what the verdict will be.everyone has heard about this case.it's been dragging on going on three years. sandy maine

Judy Rimer   May 10th, 2010 2:27 pm ET

The pics show who Caylee's "real" parents were: Cindy Anthony IMMEDIATELY called 9-1-1 when she learned Caylee was missing ... Casey hadn't notified anyone until she finally let Cindy know. I guess Casey was "otherwise occupied" at the clubs.

Lucan   May 10th, 2010 2:40 pm ET

Is the defense just buying time to delay the trial? almost everything is pointing to Casey Anthony guilt. And the calmness look in Casey althougth nothing serious has happen to her flesh and blood.

kenneth jordan   May 10th, 2010 3:07 pm ET

That's why I hate to see trials get so much attention from the media. This is dragging on far to long. If it wasn't for television, this would have been over a long time ago.

curiouser   May 10th, 2010 3:18 pm ET

Judy – she didn't report Caylee missing because she knew where she was. laying the woods wrapped in plastic bags decomposing.

Katie   May 10th, 2010 3:23 pm ET

As Casey Anthony left the courtroom this morning she mouthed a happy mother's day and a smile to her mother Cindy Anthony. Does she realize that no one can say those words to her again?

Theresa Montgomery   May 10th, 2010 3:47 pm ET

The only place Defense attorney Jose Biaz will find a clueless jury, would be aliens from outer space. Hoping that they would consider even the slightest bit of reasonable doubt. Because in common sense terms, there is none.

Theresa Montgomery   May 10th, 2010 3:53 pm ET

It appears to me that Defense Attorney Jose Biaez is using this hearing as a forum to inform potential jurors, that despite the news releases re: the case, they should remain unbiased.

mae   May 10th, 2010 4:20 pm ET

Sorry about the mistake in the above post. I know there hasn't been a trial yet, I meant during the investigation. Also I believe Caylee was killed by accident and Casey made the mistake of cooking up a story because she was scared, especially of Cindy. She would have come out better if she had just told the truth from the beginning.

NMhispana   May 10th, 2010 4:22 pm ET

No matter where her murder trail, is held, she's guilty, as hell. and her dum dream team, always find something, too delay this....

andrew   May 10th, 2010 4:22 pm ET

they should just take her out back and shoot her
i think thats only playing it fair

Gigi   May 10th, 2010 4:23 pm ET

I just read where Baez said that during a jury poll in Miami-Dade only one juror knew who he was. Well, I bet they knew who SHE was!

carol kesling   May 10th, 2010 5:03 pm ET

this case will scream appeal, appeal for lack of effective council !!!! biaz is an idiot, and chenny is worse !! it seems to me i remember biaz saying months ago... we will prove her innocence !!!! now they want everything thrown out of court... why ??? this has gone on for 2 years next month and they still don't have their evidence !!! this is ridiculous...

carol kesling   May 10th, 2010 5:07 pm ET

there is no one in florida that has not heard of this case period !!!and the minute it starts it will bring everything back to the surface, so it doesn't matter where it takes place. i think the jury will be smart and take all the evidence and make a decision on that evidence...i don't think the defence will like the outcome.... i hope !!!

Ruth   May 10th, 2010 5:23 pm ET

If Baez is so concerned about getting an impartial jury, he and the other defense attorneys ought to quit jumping in front of a microphone every time one is stuck out at them.

Erin   May 10th, 2010 6:41 pm ET

i truly long for the day when she is found guilty
and is returned to her cell where she came out of
otherwise , it is such a blatant waist of taxpayer
dollars for someone who is so self serving

donaomarie   May 10th, 2010 7:06 pm ET

The reason Jose Baez wants the jurors from Miami is because he is from there and according to casey's letters the justice system in Miami is a joke, She talks about this in her letters to the girl in jail, Her quote "I was cracking up as Jose was explaining the justice system in Miami....I hope the judge and prosecution picked up o this fact....He thinks he can get away with murder in Miami,,,,because he is Hispanic and he thinks they are retarded in Miami, The judge should not let him have his eay. I say maybe West Palm beach or Tampa....Tampa is 3 hrs away....and if they check no one is talking about this case in any of these areas anymore, nor have they been protesting for 2 years now...so these points of his are mute at this point.

shanda   May 10th, 2010 7:53 pm ET

i cant understand how casey could ever say happy mothers day to her mother knowing she is the most worthless mother... i do not feel bad for saying this at all, everyday my heart goes out to that poor little girl she harmed that could never expierience the safety and the love of a mother that she deseved cause she instead was taken by the one person who should have loved her most!!!!!

Gary   May 10th, 2010 10:38 pm ET

What makes this case so compelling, besides the fact it is the death of a child, is the duct tape found on her skull. This, to me, clearly rules out accident. That Casey partied and avoided reporting her daughter missing is almost a slam dunk for the prosecution.

carol   May 11th, 2010 12:01 am ET

I hope that judge perry keeps the death penalty on.
And I hope he has justice for poor Caylee. Nobody in the family is on Caylees side . One of them pictures she took with grandfather you can tell that Caylee know that something is going on.And doesen't look like she's happy So I hope you open your eye's And this case is taking a long time and I hope that the judge can get it to go faster and try to cut back the tax payers money. Why should she get all this treatment for what she did to poor Caylee

mombar   May 11th, 2010 9:31 am ET

she should get the death penalty because that baby did have a saying how she would die so why should she have one

Lisa   May 11th, 2010 9:32 am ET

Sandra Cantu's murderer was facing the DP until she plead guilty so now she is going to get 25 to life. So I do not feel Casey Anthony is singled out here. If the death penalty fits then it should always be used in the states that still have the DP.

Lisa
Bullhead City, AZ

mombar   May 11th, 2010 9:38 am ET

she was out there drinking it up i am sorry if my chikd was missing i would not be out drinking and haveing pic done

Paul   May 11th, 2010 9:43 am ET

Vinny,
Where is Caylee's father. Do you know who he ?

Joy   May 11th, 2010 10:00 am ET

What difference does this make, having the jury from somewhere else in the U.S.? I mean, I live in Atlanta, and, I know MUCH about this case. Maybe, toooo much. I probably wouldn't be allowed to sit on the jury because I have alot of knowlege of this case from newspapers, television,etc! I mean, this is a WELL publicized case. I even watched the memorial for the victim which was DEFINITELY heart wrenching!

SAM2008   May 11th, 2010 10:23 am ET

simply put...it doesn;t matter where the jury comes from the evidence is so overwhelming against her...lets get on with the trial and let her start serving her life sentence...don;t sentence her to death...that is an easy way out for what she did to that beautiful little girl..may it haunt her for the rest of her life!

Anonymous   May 11th, 2010 10:46 am ET

AMEN Corina.

Cindy K.   May 11th, 2010 11:03 am ET

If Casey Anthony had any intelligence at all she would take a plea bargain, if it has been offered, and plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence without the possibility of parole. Otherwise I think there is a very good chance she will get the death penalty. We had a similar case close to where I live which received a lot of media attention. Susan Smith, who drowned her children in a lake while they were still strapped in their car seats. She received life without parole and still tries to get on TV whenever she can. In fact she had another child by a prison guard several years ago. Once someone like this is found guilty all media attention should be prohibited. Let them fade into oblivion. But never let the victims be forgotten.

svetlana   May 11th, 2010 11:09 am ET

I agree with Theresa only aliens don"t have clue about this case. I hope this worthless "mother" gets what she deserves, DEATH PENALTY. I like the new judge, I am sure Baez is not very happy about him... What ever the outcome will be, Casey, your life is over!!! no more parties, no more shopping, no more boyfriends... it is over!!!

Shirley Watson   May 11th, 2010 11:29 am ET

If you kill someone there should be a Death Penalty no matter what a Gender U are. There are a lot of people in jail for Killing people and get to live and the one they killed is gone and cannot come back to life . Why should the killer get to live for ever ?

Shirley

Martha Juul   May 11th, 2010 12:10 pm ET

They are talking about Casey's emotions today. They are saying they have never seen her cry over Caylee before. My question is this "How do they know the tears are for Caylee and not because she is so afraid of the death penalty and this is what this whole court date is about?

Martha Juul   May 11th, 2010 12:12 pm ET

Is Casey crying over Caylee or because she is facing the death penalty?

sissy   May 11th, 2010 12:16 pm ET

I dont think it matters where they have this trial, the point is, people alla round the world has heard about this case and so it doesnt matter where they get their jury people..their all going to know about casey anthony. Not because casey is anything, shes not, but because of her daughter and the horrible death the child went through.

ROBIN   May 11th, 2010 12:28 pm ET

I really want justice in this trial where ever it is to be moved it really do not matter Caylee was first,Haleigh second,and Summer Thompson was third whoever murdered these children needs to ask GOD to forgive them, I watch Casey in the courtroom and the tears are fake,Cindy and George Anthony know that Casey had something to do with the disappearance and death of there granddaughter.

Robin Jacksonville FL

rozydozey   May 11th, 2010 2:30 pm ET

where were her handcuffs today in court?

maria   May 11th, 2010 2:56 pm ET

they should give her live, without parole and she can partying in jail with her sole made. they should'nt give her death penalty cause that is a easy way out for her and it is a easy way to die. they need to keep her locked up until she get really old

Lucas   May 11th, 2010 3:36 pm ET

@donaomarie

She may think that but even in Miami people have a low tolerance for mothers that kill their child.

What I don't understand is how do the grandparents not see their grandchild for over 30 days and not suspect anything. While my son may not see his grandma for a week or two, he does speak with her on the phone at least a few times a week.

As a parent, I am sick to my stomach that this person is trying to get away with murdering her daughter. The whole family is trash and I hope they all get what they deserve.

Helen   May 11th, 2010 5:13 pm ET

Not fair. If the taxpayers of Orlando are picking up the tab, why should they be denied to participate in this trial? In a way I am glad the Judge made this ruling, this way the defense is unable to keep on dragging their feet. How much is this going to cost us?

Sherry   May 11th, 2010 10:11 pm ET

As far as Jurors go, someone please tell me where they are going to get them that NO ONE ELSE knows about this case! Everyone in the world knows about CASEY ANTHONY!!!!!!! I agree with the comment made, PUT HER WHERE SHE BELONGS SO EVERYONE CAN GET ON WITH THE LIVES THEY LIVE!!! Good lord, anyone else would already have been to court and it would be over!!!!!! So, let's get on with it! She needs to quit whining about things and her attorneys to!

chris john ripca   May 12th, 2010 9:19 am ET

when you talk about this case you simply say the things that casey has said.one of the biggest is this babby sitter.there is no babby sitter and never was one.caseys actions and words tell the story...................................chris.

Sherri in Missouri   May 13th, 2010 4:47 pm ET

The jury should be from the county which the crime was committed they should be able to have the say as to what goes on in their community every where you pool a jury from are asked if they can put their personal opinion aside and rule on the evidence

M   May 14th, 2010 2:31 pm ET

I don't think having a jury from outside Orlando will make a difference unless they are from another country!!! This case has received excessive media coverage and people have already convicted Casey – not that she is not guilty but the basis of justice depends on the notion of innocence before proven guilty so Casey still deserves a fair trial. Just think of all the falsely accused and falsely convicted or worse yet – innocently executed!

Lydia   June 13th, 2010 9:57 am ET

I live in Orlando and I believe the trial should be held here. It amazes me how Casey thinks she deserves so much when her poor little girl was throwed away like trash. Her daughter died here she should have her trial here. It is so much tax payer money being use for her,why waste more than you have to!!!!!!!!!

Linda Sedlak   June 29th, 2010 2:34 pm ET

Casey looked up on the Internet how to create at home a powerful sleeping sedative. Then I believe that she made the medication, gave it to her child, and left for the evening to party. Returning home she discovered her daughter to be dead. In a panic she placed her daughter in a trash sack, put her in the trunk of her car, and continued her partying ways. After a few days/weeks, she removed the body bag from her car, and placed it in the woods/swamps near her home.
Casey would have been much better off to admit the truth. Her lies will lead her to a death penalty when she would have faced an accidental death trial if she had just admitted her mistake.

Robert Capps San Antonio tx   July 19th, 2010 11:23 am ET

There is no way on Gods earth that I am going to let any person take care of my grandchildren for two whole years and never lay eyes on that person or meet them, especially if i live in the same town where my grandchildren live. The ANthonys can say all they want to about it not being any of their business who took care of Caylee, but if that is how they really felt then they had no business getting involved when she went missing. They knew what happened to that poor child very shortly after the fact and they are just as guilty as Casey is for not stepping up and saying so as soon it happened. Instead they tried to help her cover it up and hope to put the blame on some mystery person, now that it has blown up in their face, i hope they all do time for it because all of them are responsble to some degree for this horendous crime on a poor defensless child, al in the name of jealousy.

Marti   March 7th, 2011 6:23 pm ET

If Caylee's death was an accident (which I would consider and feel better about), wouldn't Casey be more upset and display despair from the beginning? I'm afraid there are too many details such as preparation...tape, online searches relating to methods, bag, etc., etc.

About this blog

This is your online home for In Session on truTV’s up-to-the minute, comprehensive coverage of legal issues, trials and news from America’s courtrooms.  Our anchors, analysts and producers are teaming up here to give you updates on the stories that matter to you.

Be sure to tune in to In Session on truTV from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. ET.

On Twitter
RT @hlnmakingit: We're talking about last night's #debate and tomorrow's jobs report! Tune in to @HLNTV now http://t.co/YlrEGOIq
Twitter icon HLNTV 4:14 pm ET October 4, 2012 RETWEET
Now on #HLN: RT @hlnmakingit: Having fun today w our #Obama & #Romney cut-outs. Play our game 'who said that' at 4p http://t.co/59AvFwnH
Twitter icon HLNTV 4:00 pm ET October 4, 2012 RETWEET
The #YellowDogProject, a sign for pets in a doggone bad mood http://t.co/WE1XNF05 via @LilThunderLiz @louisianabrown
Twitter icon HLNTV 3:31 pm ET October 4, 2012 RETWEET
RT @DarrenKavinoky: RT @DarrenKavinoky: Getting ready to dig into the toxicology issues in the #MillionaireDUI Case. Join us at @InSession on @truTV!
Twitter icon InSession 1:36 pm ET October 4, 2012 RETWEET
Philadelphia top cop says he plans to fire officer who struck parade-goer. READ MORE: http://t.co/TDlUEbw7
Twitter icon InSession 1:27 pm ET October 4, 2012 RETWEET