CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

February 16, 2010

Surveillance video shows Carty did not buy alcohol

Posted: 05:03 PM ET

Palm Bay, FL – Surveillance video from the BP station where defendant Jennifer Carty, victim Ravin Billington and their friends, Tyler Richmond and Gary Hinman, were hanging out did not show the group purchasing alcohol.  BP employee Paul Dockery Jr. was called to the stand by Prosecutor James McMaster to explain this evidence.  Police do not know where the group acquired the beer bottles found at the crash scene. The only item purchased at the gas station that evening was a pack of cigarettes by Jennifer Carty.

Both Jennifer Carty and Ravin Billington had been drinking earlier in the evening while out “mudding,” or off-roading, with friends. The last time the pair was seen on surveillance video was at 11:51 a.m. The fatal accident that claimed Ravin Billington’s life occurred around 12:44 a.m. Immediately following the crash, Tyler Richmond called 911 at 12:45 a.m. Billington was found unconscious but still breathing, while Carty was discovered face down in a watery ditch. Neither girl was wearing a seatbelt. Jennifer Carty’s blood alcohol content (BAC) measured .126 and Ravin Billington’s was determined to be .167. Carty claims she does not remember the accident.

Of all the facts, the only one in dispute is who truly was behind the wheel that fateful evening. The prosecution argues Jennifer Carty was the driver, while the defense claims Ravin Billington had driven several of her friends’ vehicles on different occasions, including Jennifer Carty’s black Hyundai. Will the prosecution be able to prove their burden? Tune into In Session tomorrow for continuing coverage of the trial.

-Shannon Black, In Session Production Assistant

Filed under: Trial Updates • Trials

Madelyn   February 16th, 2010 5:10 pm ET

Per you message..If Raven Billington was still breathing but unconscious at the time of accident, where is the proof that appropiate medical treatment was provided to her or did they just leave her there to die????
None will ever know the truth thanks to the wonder Florida Highway Patrol/Medical staff/Medical examiner etc...that umbrella I refrenced earlier seems to be getting bigger and bigger...wonder who else will fall under it?????

tgrb   February 16th, 2010 8:41 pm ET

Look at the scene: the most interesting evidence shown was the injuries to the RIGHT side of the victim. If this is true then the evidence lead me to think that she was on the RIGHT side of the car. I certainly would like to see a more detailed description of just where all her injuries were. Seems like another case of inept police work seeing as how no forensics were done on the steering wheel, windshield, etc.

Christy in Buda Texas   February 16th, 2010 8:45 pm ET

Sad case all the way around... someone remembers who was driving or saw them doing so. Someone knows where the beer came from, or discovered it after the accident. Dead is dead and the living in this case are going to be tormented for the rest of thier lives. so sad.

jackie   February 16th, 2010 9:42 pm ET

I'm confused about the ME saying Ravin had symptoms of drowning. In the picture her body is on the bank and not near the water. To have water in her sinus' and lungs she would have had to be in the water so how did her body get up on the bank. Did someone drag her out and if so who and where was she before she was moved?

tgrb   February 17th, 2010 9:12 am ET

Another thing that bothers me is the video of them in the store. The time is less an hour before the accident. They sure don't look very drunk to me. How did they get so drunk in 51 minutes. I realize I could be wrong but if you see her flip her shoes off, she seems to have all her dexterity about her. They also seem to be walking perfectly normal. I don't understand the alcohol level. When I was younger, the legal intoxication level was .08 and then changed to .14. 126 and 167 makes absolutely no sense to me. Have they changed the way they do the readings? This is approximately 10 x higher then that. Could someone please explain that to me?

Jean   February 17th, 2010 10:46 am ET

I am a mother of 3 daughters and I know it doesn't change anything,but all 3 of my daughters had to be home by midnight,so why were these girls 17 and 18 at the time still running the streets this late? and also if the girls were with the guys most of the night where did the alcohol come from? Ravens boyfriend really acted like it was a problem to be there kinda like an attitude towards the hearing maybe he feels guilty because he had a part in the alcohol.

carol covey   February 17th, 2010 11:00 am ET

i think who ever gave these girls the beer should be responsible as well i think jennifer is suffering enough for her friends death it was a tragic accident and it will not bring her friend back this is something she will have to live with every day .hopefully this is a lesson learned.

Janet-West Babylon   February 17th, 2010 11:27 am ET

In the inside of the car – Wasn't there any blood and/or hair left behind from the crash that could determine where the girls were? Especially the windshield and the steeringwheel.

Chuck   February 17th, 2010 11:48 am ET

I am not an expert, but it looked to me that Jennifer took off her flip flops in the video because she saw that the floor was being mopped. I believe it even showed the man mopping the floor in another section of the video.

Len Tanner   February 17th, 2010 11:50 am ET

Wouldn't the absence of prints on the steering wheel, driver's door, gear shift show that Ravin wasn't driving?

Becky   February 17th, 2010 11:53 am ET

Maybe she took her shoes off because they had mud on them. They were out "mudding"...right?

Justin   February 17th, 2010 3:46 pm ET

Jean- The legal BAC level in most states is .08%. I believe there are still a few w/ .1%. I'm not sure about the .14% you mentioned. The girls' BAC was .126% and .167%. The last figure being about twice the legal limit. Many people, especially experienced drinkers, can act and appear sober or somewhat normal even with BAC levels of up to 3 or 4 times the legal limit.

Betty   February 17th, 2010 4:12 pm ET

Were the girls close in height? looking at the seats it looks like one in up allot more than the other. If one is much taller , judging by the drivers seat it looks to be slid up a great deal.If one is much taller it would be back more.

crystal ellison   February 17th, 2010 11:21 pm ET

It jus a dam shame wat kinda service is provide to pease for tha family n teif loss there rnt any true friends out there no mo Cart was alert 2 beg for her freedom that was a time 2 come clean she knew she was drvn' n God does too

chitown   February 19th, 2010 11:52 am ET

crystal ellison..sweety please work on your gammar and spelling. It seemed like u was saying something really important but no one can understand it. just saying...

h. Philbeck   February 19th, 2010 4:12 pm ET

I missed any comment's from the victem's family, do they blame Jennifer for their daughter's death?

redruby1941   February 22nd, 2010 11:27 am ET

This is truly a sad case and just emphasizes the real lack of parenting in society today. These girls were underage yet they drove, drank and were out in the early morning hours without any parental supervision at all. I am a parent as well and preferred to be stricter rather than lenient. We see tragedies happening every day in families that don't believe in strict hands on parenting. Now Ravins mother and stepfather are pointing fingers. There are no winners in this tragedy. Sadly it might have been avoided if both sets of parents were more responsible and spent more time actually parenting than they did. These girls should have had curfews and there should have been accountability as to where they were, what they were doing and who they were with. The drinking and driving is certainly something I would have addressed PRIOR to giving any teenager of mine a car to drive much less one they owned. The parents bear a lot of responsibility in this tragedy. Time to look at that so it doesn't happen again with their other children.

Ida   February 24th, 2010 12:17 pm ET

Schack said he never stores his guns loaded but he loaded them because they were going to shoot the next morning. Who travels with loaded guns IN the car, is that legal in his state and what range allows you to walk on it with a gun already loaded. When we used to go to the range you had to unload and seperate all ammo before storing the guns in the car.

Ray   March 1st, 2010 11:30 pm ET

I have been watching the trial on Schack and I know that he is guilty of killing his girlfriend. He should get his story straight cause he keeps changing and acting like his has remorse for Amy. I know about guns cause I go hunting with my sons and I taught them how to handle their rifles, the dos and don't. We all have taken the safety courses and I won't let my sons handle rifles till they took the course and I keep all the rifles locked up. I don't clean them whenever, its only when we are planning a hunting trip. We check our rifles, unloaded and cleaning them outside or in our store room. Mr Schack was very careless with his weapons and he didn't have them long. Why put any gun,pistol or rifle on a dresser, bed stand where it don't belong. What if he had little children, would he still leave his weapons around. He needs to pay for the crime he committed. No doubts about it, he took a life and nothing will bring her back. I feel for her family and prayers go out to them. They've lost a beautiful and loving daughter and sister.

About this blog

This is your online home for In Session on truTV’s up-to-the minute, comprehensive coverage of legal issues, trials and news from America’s courtrooms.  Our anchors, analysts and producers are teaming up here to give you updates on the stories that matter to you.

Be sure to tune in to In Session on truTV from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. ET.

On Twitter
RT @hlnmakingit: We're talking about last night's #debate and tomorrow's jobs report! Tune in to @HLNTV now http://t.co/YlrEGOIq
Twitter icon HLNTV 4:14 pm ET October 4, 2012 RETWEET
Now on #HLN: RT @hlnmakingit: Having fun today w our #Obama & #Romney cut-outs. Play our game 'who said that' at 4p http://t.co/59AvFwnH
Twitter icon HLNTV 4:00 pm ET October 4, 2012 RETWEET
The #YellowDogProject, a sign for pets in a doggone bad mood http://t.co/WE1XNF05 via @LilThunderLiz @louisianabrown
Twitter icon HLNTV 3:31 pm ET October 4, 2012 RETWEET
RT @DarrenKavinoky: RT @DarrenKavinoky: Getting ready to dig into the toxicology issues in the #MillionaireDUI Case. Join us at @InSession on @truTV!
Twitter icon InSession 1:36 pm ET October 4, 2012 RETWEET
Philadelphia top cop says he plans to fire officer who struck parade-goer. READ MORE: http://t.co/TDlUEbw7
Twitter icon InSession 1:27 pm ET October 4, 2012 RETWEET